Sunday, November 30, 2008

recap of the long holiday weekend

We had a lovely holiday dinner at my house. Mom and Dad and Larry and his family came. Unfortunately none of us took pictures. We're just no good at remembering that! I didn't have enough seating after all, but it was such a pretty day that the guests just took it to the back yard and graciously sat at the patio table.

It seems like I spent all my time away from the office in the kitchen. There was Thanksgiving, of course. Everyone pitched in and made it a big success. Our traditions are turkey, of course, sweet potato casserole with pecans, ambrosia salad, green bean casserole, roasted potatoes, fresh cranberry sauce, dressing, gravy, pumpkin pie, pecan pie.

One day I made a huge pot of turkey noodle soup. When I lifted the lid off the huge pot to ladle up the leftovers there was a sad half-inch left in the bottom of the cast iron pot. Ah, well. It was enough for the E-child to have before work the next day. Today I made the same big pot, but this time full of meatballs. I make them with 1/2 spicy Italian sausage and 1/2 lean ground turkey. It seems a tad healthier that way (and a little less likely to cause severe heartburn!) This time I managed to grab some for lunches BEFORE the mad dash for dinner.

So, I'm working on lesson plans and listening to the kids squabble about who ate all the garlic bread. All is well here. I hope you all had a lovely holiday.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

NO PICTURES??? Geez... you need an Aunt Eileen there with camera in hand at all times!!!

Eileen said...

NO New post, but had to comment on the AWESOME background for your blog!!!